Bound & Stitched: Coptic Stitching & Book Making 5/13
In this intensive one day workshop we'll create a hardcover book from start to finish, perfect for use as a journal or sketchbook. We'll "cover" everything from the book making basics to sewing a binding using the Coptic stitch. One of the oldest book making techniques still in use, Coptic binding creates a beautiful exposed stitching on the spine and (a special plus to all lefties) your book's pages will lie completely flat no matter where they're opened. Students will leave with a completed book and a detailed guide for practicing on their own.
All levels are welcome and familiarity with book binding is not necessary. The kit fee covers all materials necessary but if you have any decorative papers you'd like to incorporate or a particular weight of paper (such as an art paper) that you'd like for your book, please feel free to bring it along.
- Teacher: SylviaTomayko-Peters of Middle Dune Books
- Skill level: All levels welcome
- Date, Day & Time: May13th from 10 - 2:15
- Kit Fee: $10 to be paid to the teacher
- Supplies Needed: X-Acto knife & Bone Folder (we will have supplies students can share but sometimes it's nice to have your own!)